Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mallet to Mallet

Today at work we played a little game called Mallet to Mallet. Don't worry, the game didn't actually involve mallets but rather mental mallets. So we had to learn specs (specifications) of certain items on the menu we will have at the new restaurant, such as rack of ribs or Bonafree Pie. We have like five minutes to memorize all we can about the recipe and what not and then the person from each team specializing in that recipe goes head to head with one worded/phrased blurts about the food. For example, one could say bananas! and then the other would reply defrosted! then mint! One sprig! And so on and so on. The first person to run out of things to say or repeat something loses. It was actually really fun and the team got even closer. We did some other things with scenario and menu training and then we got off early at about four. Great!
I am having slight troubles getting a bank account due to my lack of permanent address and a bill with my name on it. Ridiculous! But Vanessa is going to ring(call) them tomorrow and see what can be done. Other than that I am doing quite swell. I went to a store today called Primark, I think I mentioned it earlier, and it was fantastic! I got two pairs of pants for eight pounds each and I will be going back for more as soon as I get a bank account. Father's orders. :) Since shopping I have eaten a fabulous sandwich, done some cross-training, stretching, push ups and sit ups, showered, browsed the internet and watched some TV. What fun.
What I have learned today: England is not that bad once you get to know it. It has a certain charm to its little houses, busy roads and cloudy skies. I am becoming more and more comfortable and have found it quite enjoyable. I will be sad when I leave it behind. I also learned that you can take pets on the bus. I had the pleasure today of sitting next to a German Sheppard. His owner was this old, slightly decrepit man with missing teeth who didn't seem to notice that his dog was practically sitting on me! He was across the aisle, but his dog was literally leaning on me! The dogs here are so needy and touchy and it's really starting to get to me. You know the people that just can't keep from touching you? Like Alex and my dad but way way worse? It's rough when you have to keep your feet on the couch because if you put them down, a small hairy animal will engulf them in his grip. I'll leave you with that, until tomorrow. ore e vwah! Ha ha that's French! Love, Girl who likes England but can't stand the needy canines!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - interesting report. You've finally gone over the difficult part and are now enjoying the country that is part of your heritage - congrats! Now you really are getting into the groove. With the next steps being more about going to the country, visiting some sites, trying more varieties of food, you will really start having fun.
    As for comparing needy dogs to Alex and I, now I know where we really stand! :)
    Tough day at work here - had some disappointments, so will not write as much. Will clearly want to see how you are doing and how the banking situation works out. Vanessa will help you I'm sure. At the same time, let me please know the calendar for the next 3 to 4 weeks over the weekends so we can start scheduling things. I won't ask any more from now on, I promise. Have a wonderful day. Read up on you tomorrow!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete