Wednesday, June 23, 2010

GGOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!

Yes! Yes! Yes! I just got done peeing my pants after spending an hour biting my tongue and sweating profusely as I watched the U.S.A. team play what could've been their last game in the world cup. But no fretting. They scored in the last four minutes of stoppage time added!!!! I have never been so happy!! I easily used up half my life's store of nerves! If I bit my nails, they would be gone. That's all I'm saying. It was a ridiculous but awesome game. I was perched on a stool in a separate room from the rest of the Collins (who were watching the England game) watching on a laptop with my face like two inches from the screen. Humorous. :)
Anyway. Phewf. Just so much excitement to express to other Americans who will share my glee. Speaking of glee, I watched the whole first season of Glee a couple of weeks ago. I do love it! Such good music and drama. ;)
I get buttloads of crap for being American here. It's ridiculous. Anything bad or undesirable brought up in a conversation somehow gets turned to "That's because you/they are American", "That's because it's from America", "but that's expected from Americans", "all Americans complain", "oh look! A fat person! Must be American", "Oh look! An anorexic person. Must be American", "You BURN your flag if it touches the ground?! That's so stupid". It gets old. I know I am a strong person and I will never cry in front of these accusers, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt my feelings. It's like they're bashing my home and how I've grown up. I promise I think it is a teensy bit of what it must feel like to have racist comments made towards you. At the same time, I have never been more proud to be an American and no matter what people say, they just don't understand. "I Love America!" (said in Chinese accent).
Ha ha another interesting thing is that I am officially clumsy due to my mishaps with the dang cobblestone and brick. I'm always catching my feet on corners and tripping. I now appreciate the beauty of smooth cement. Something we don't think of everyday. :) I have also been stereotyped as a little eater because I hardly ate anything when I got here. I try to explain that it was because I was adjusting to all the change and that I'm well over it now but they just won't have it. So there's my interesting thought.
This week's been fun just hanging with Hayley 24/7. We've gone cycling, to the park, shopping, to lunch at Wagamamas and more and we are now working on a project for artsy fartsy fun, Hayley's forte. I'll keep you updated.
I'm kind of just cruising right now, trying to fill my time with cheap fun cause I have no money. It's proving to be quite a challenge though and Hayley and I are having fun tackling it.
I'm also aware of tender mercies Heavenly Father gives me just when I need them. I imagine Him just placing little presents on my way to school or something, in the form of little notes from home or comments from friends. I LOVE them.
That's my life. Good.
I love love love love love love love love my home and everyone in it or next door. ;)
Danielle. The American.

1 comment:

  1. They are a jealous lot with no opportunity for improvement in their life, and have developed an art form of pulling their peers down into the bucket with them any time they show interest in leaving. They are all crabs!! Misery loves company.

    You, in the mean time, get to jet in and jet out, look 'mahvelous' and are able to conquer tall buildings with one single bound! No wonder they rip on you. At the same time, they don't have the balls to stick out by themselves and take risks. I truly am speaking the truth here - have lived with them, have experienced racism much worse than what you have felt, and know what they are capable of.
    The summary is that you only feel their sting because you care for them. The answer is not to 'not care' but remember that they come from quite a few years of disappointment now (loss of America, loss of colonies, and even their prisoners became successful in Australia), and when they say bad things, just smile and tell them that you are going to home and that they are welcome to come visit any time. But the can't! ;)

    See you soon, baby.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete